Breathing has been a central part of my personal practice and teaching over the past 20 years. These private classes are where I share the art and science of Pranayama, or put simply, how to use the breath to regulate and retain Prana (Life).
Learning to breathe better is one of the simplest and most effective ways to improve your health and vitality, and to deepen your self awareness and spiritual practice. We can all learn to breathe better and experience the joy that this can bring – it is also a joy for me to share these teachings with you!
Your first class will cover the fundamentals including both theory and practice so that you understand how you are breathing now and what a natural correct breath pattern looks and feels like.
It is recommended to attend at least one further session after a week or more of self practice to review what you have learnt and to introduce some specific breathing tools to best support your current needs.
1 hour one-on-one private session NZD $75 *
*$150 for the recommended 2 sessions and for those wishing to attend as a couple or with a friend, a second person can join a single private session for an additional $25
In person classes are held in Blenheim, Marlborough, New Zealand at Ancient’s Best by arrangement. Group breathing classes will also be announced from time to time so please join our Mailing List if you would like to be kept updated. Classes on Zoom can be arranged also for those in other locations.
In a breathing class you will learn how to:
- take a full and complete breath
- recognise and correct negative breathing patterns
- prepare yourself for practice
- combine conscious breath with conscious movement and intention
- understand the link between the way you breathe and your mental state
- incorporate breathing into a daily self practice
Further classes will allow you to practice and refine your skills, and learn additional breathing tool and techniques.
Key benefits of better breathing:
- calms the mind, reducing anxiety and negative thoughts
- increases patience and resilience to stress
- improves focus and concentration, resulting in better decision making and efficiency
- allows us to better manage our mood to support what we want to do and to develop control over the mind
- increases energy, enthusiasm, and positivity
- stimulates the production of chemicals that help fight depression
- boosts the immune system and reduces the build up of toxins in the blood and lungs
- creates the right conditions for rejuvenation and healing through relaxation and optimising endocrinal, circulatory and nervous system functions
- scientific studies have shown breathing practices are effective in the management of asthma, heart disease, chronic pain, anxiety, and sleep disorders
- supports the control and management of addictive behaviours
- enhances feelings of connectedness and emotional presence
- supports meditation and mindfulness practices